Thursday, September 11, 2008

Envy

Hi all, just a note on something very important I learned last Sunday at church. I know many of you have heard or read that I've been bummed out at my situation of having to go back to work. I'm even sad to admit I've been darn right envious of others that get to stay home. At first I put on a brave face and was committed to being an example for my family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors. I tried to emphasize the postives of my situtaion. Things like, my daughter will get to spend time with her grandparents (something I never got to do), she'll learn Romanian (more importantly correct Romanian), being back at work will make me treasure my moments with her more and so forth and for a while I felt content---then I allowed myself to start those very unpopular pity parties (you know the ones where no one else shows up but you!) I started to feel resentment toward my wonderful husband who is so helpful and loving and a wonderful partner to me and a terrific daddy to Charlotte. I hated feeling that way. I asked others to pray for me in that respect and as always God is so faithful. He puts us in places and communicates to us if we only stop and listen.
This brings me to Sunday. The sermon was on 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7


Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

I've read this passage many many times before but on Sunday when the emphasis was on envy--I was ashamed. Here I am, blessed beyond words and I want more. Here I am, with example after example of God's goodness and I'm feeling resentment because of my situation. It was exactly the message I needed. So here are the 3 ways we can all deal with envy in our lives:


1. Remember God determines what we all have!


God purposes and permits what we have. All that we receive is from our good and faithful Lord. I need to be content in the ways the Lord chooses to bless me. I'm his creation and it is His sovereign right to do what he wishes with me and my family.


2. Appreciate what you have already!


I need to remember that happiness is not having more---it's enjoying more of what you have. And you know what??--I have quite a bit to be happy for. Too many to count!


3. Stop making comparrisons!


God made us all different and so there is absolutely no point in comparing ourselves to anyone else.


Maybe you don't struggle with envy---but you know what?--I didn't think I struggled with it either. Take a moment and think about it, you might find there are some areas in your life where you can be more content with your situation rather than wishing for more.


Charlotte, because this post is labeled thoughts for you---I just want you to remember this: Don't be jealous of others. Jealousy and envy divides while love unites and builds others up!!!
My goodness you're cute...so here's a big kiss!


4 comments:

Aranne and Dan said...

This was a great post... Makes you think for sure. I know that I need to be more thankful for what I have and take the time to recognize it. Thanks for helping me realize it and for being so honest.

Natalie said...

We all know we shouldn't envy others but actually not doing it is hard. I try to appreciate what I have but then I see someone wo may have a little more than me and the little green monster creeps up. Thanks for talking about it.

Rachel said...

Envy is horrible and I've dealt with my share of it - but those are some good reminders that you shared. Thanks!

Michelle said...

preach it sister!

this series on I Corinthians is going to be a doozy! Some weeks wwe will escape unscathed an other weeks, well, pain will be involved.

Love ya - and you looked fabulous today!
Michelle