Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What's in a name?

I wish I could say that I chose the name Charlotte and Griffin for these amazing reasons but the truth is...I just loved the way they sounded and the fact that they are great kid names but even better adult names. I mean, really when you think of it...we're adults a lot longer than we are kids, so it's important for me to know my kids will be able to grow into their names.

I wanted to share something about what the name Griffin represents. I wikipedia'd it.

As many of you might know...a griffin is a mythical animal---the head and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion.
This is what wikipedia says about it:
"The griffin, griffon, or gryphon (Latin: gryphus) is a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. As the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle was the king of the birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. Griffins are normally known for guarding treasure and well valued priceless possession."

I love this...LOVE IT! How awesome to be able to tell my son, honey....your name symbolizes strength and a responsibility to guard and protect treasures and priceless possessions. He'll probably be confused and ask what treasure I'm referring to---and then I'll be able to share the treasures I'm talking about...
The treasure of family, love, friendship, salvation, service, and the church.

I'm happy with his name and with what I know it will symbolize for our family.

Love you baby Griffin.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Will he also guard and protect your heart??? LOL!

Linda said...

Lol, Rachel... You are too funny!

Unknown said...

Linda you really did an awesome job choosing that name. Too many times no real thought goes into a name and the poor child has to endure it for the rest of his or her life. Griffin can be so proud of his name. The heart part will be a tough one.